WASHINGTON, D.C. April 28, 2010 Release #10-208 – The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.
Name of Product: Buoyancy Compensators used for Scuba Diving
Units: About 20,000
Manufacturer: Ocean Management Systems Inc., of Middletown, N.Y.
Hazard: The buoyancy compensator seal ring could crack, posing a drowning hazard to divers.
Incidents/Injuries: None reported.
Description: This recall involves buoyancy compensators with the following model numbers. Buoyancy compensators provide buoyancy control for scuba divers by allowing them to inflate or deflate the devices. The compensators were sold in black or red. “OMS” is printed on the front inside of the compensators. Item and serial numbers are printed on the warning label located in the non-inflation area of the buoyancy compensator. A list of serial numbers included in this recall is available from the firm.
- BC-TCPS- B TACOPS® BC ; Black
- BC-TCPS-R TACOPS® BC ; Red
- BC116-32B16 B Non retraction single tank BC 32 lb. lift / Black
- BC116-32R Non retraction single tank BC 32 lb. lift / Red
- BC-LGS45 Larry Green Signature Series 45 lb. lift BC
- BC-LGS70 Larry Green Signature Series 70 lb. lift BC
- BC118 – K Dual Bladder BC [inflated] 94 lb. lift Black or Red
- BC115 – KB Dual Bladder BC, 60 lb. lift in Black
- BC115 – KR Dual Bladder BC, 60 lb. lift in Red
- BC118 – K Dual Bladder BC [deflated] 94 lb. lift Black or Red
- BC117 – K45 Single Bladder BC 45 lb. lift / Black
- BC117CR – K45 Chemically Resistant 45 lb. lift / Black
- BC117 – K60 Single Bladder BC, 60 lb. lift / Black
- BC117 – KB Single Bladder BC, 94 lb. lift / Black
- BC117 – KR Single Bladder BC, 94 lb. lift / Red
- BC116-45B Non-retraction Single Bladder BC 45 lb. lift/ Black
- BC116-60B Non-retraction Single Bladder BC 60 lb. lift/ Black
- BC116-60R Non-retraction Single Bladder BC 60 lb. lift/ Red
- BC116-60C Chemically Resistant 60 lb. lift / Black
Sold at: Dive stores nationwide from May 2006 through August 2008 for about $400.
Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the diving equipment and contact Ocean Management Systems to receive a free repair.
Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Ocean Management Systems toll-free at (877) 791-0315 between 9 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, visit the firm’s website at www.omsdive.com, or email the firm at firstname.lastname@example.org
CPSC is still interested in receiving incident or injury reports that are either directly related to this product recall or involve a different hazard with the same product. Please tell us about it by visiting https://www.cpsc.gov/cgibin/incident.aspx